Saturday, December 18, 2010

Pony the Pirate

Riding home from the Special Recreation Association/Knights of Columbus luncheon with Santa, Carter continued his usual barrage of questions about anything and everything.  "Was Christmas the very first holiday we celebrated?"  "When was the first holiday before that?"  "What is the first principle of Hanukkah?"  "Why don't we celebrate Hanukkah?"  And then... "Why did Pony the Pirate not like Jesus?  Why was he so mean to Him?"

Pony the Pirate?  Pony the Pirate.  Pony the Pirate.  OK, was this Veggie Tales or what?  AAAHHH!  It finally occurred to me.  Pontious Pilate.  When I asked Carter, he confirmed with another question. 
"Why was Pontious Pilate so mean mom?"  Well, I wanted to answer, but had to know, "How do you know about Pontious Pilate Carter?"   He couldn't really explain, and truly, what difference does the origin of his historical knowledge really matter?  (Well, to me it really matters.)  But, there's no time for an explanation, only time for another question about the Shepherds.  "Why did they get to see Jesus on His birthday?  Was Jesus one of the Wise Men?  What was your very first present you got for Christmas mom?" and on and on and on...

I know that God smiles when Carter asks me questions.  After all, just a few years ago, there were no questions, and so little conversation.  I prayed and begged and read about encouraging the wh questions and conversation and consulted with his OT and Speech Therapists and never ever gave up.  Here we are.  I've got exactly what I prayed for AND THEN SOME. 

I've got to go look up where all the frogs go in the winter now and then I'll be brushing up on my understanding of Pontious Pilate and Hanukkah and before I'm finished I'm sure there will be more questions and more answers to be found.  I'm the luckiest mommy in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment