Thursday, February 24, 2011

But Mom, I Do Love You So Much

I get a lot of material from my little man.  The quips and the stories are nonstop, and I delight in it.   But, I have to stop and write about my big boy, my man-child.  All of eleven and a half, with a size nine men's shoe and a baby face with the same cheeks since the toddler years.  He's often too good to be true.  So much so that I find myself digging for drama in his life.  Middle school.  It's awful, isn't it?  So far, so good.  Sixth grade has been fine.  He's entering the teen scene here and there not wanting to get up in the morning and not wanting to talk to me in front of his friends.  For the most part, it's been a smooth ride with sixth grade humor and the focus on shows, music, friends, church, and family.  Good.  Great even.

But today was really special.  I picked him up from middle school after he'd been at "Real World Club" where typical kids hang out with the special needs kids.  Yeah, I know.  They went to a basketball game with the group, and he said it was fun.  He's something special.

He and I were riding in the car when I mentioned how much Carter is loving me lately.  (Carter gives me two to three pictures or cards with pictures of he and I holding hands everyday now.)  I told Danny, "You went through a phase like that too Dan.  You were madly in love with mommy for a while too."

To my surprise (and to his dismay if he knew I were sharing this), Danny said, "I still do love you like crazy mama.  Don't you know that?" a brief pause, and then  "How could you not know that?"

Took my breath away.  Better than anything Hallmark could ever put together.  That's for darn sure.

1 comment:

  1. I can't read your blog anymore. Especially when I'm in pain, because I'm blubbering like a stinkin' fool!

    ReplyDelete