Wednesday, February 2, 2011

You are MAGNIFICENT!

So it's the snowiest day of the year, and maybe my children's lifetime.  They've had a ball with all their friends building snow forts and attempting to sled down the hill.  I've had the great pleasure of shovelling the driveway where the snowdrifts are well above my knees.  Actually, the snow's been light, so the project isn't so bad.  And with great neighbors out doing the same thing, the task has been just fine. 

Well, it's about two hours into the project, and Carter approaches needing a drink.  His face is red as an apple from the cold and wind, and he's got two symmetrical drips of snot between his nose and lips.  Mom-o-meter kicks in.  "Time for a break!"  "No!  I want to be with my friends.  They will have so much fun without me!  I don't want to come in!  It's not fair!"  The devil that lives inside Carter's empty stomach is ugly.  Mom-o-meter reading:  Carter needs a snack and a drink and a 'warming.'

I remain calm.  "Carter, let's just dry your snow clothes in the dryer while you have a little snack.  Trust me.  It won't take long."

"MOM!  YOU ARE MAGNIFICENT!" 
"Really?  Carter, you think I'm magnificent?"
"I was being sarcastic."

Great.

Mom-o-meter reading:  Carter is eating special k with banana playing legos as the dryer drum rolls over and over drying his snowsuit and mittens and hat and scarf.  All is well.  Mom knows best.  And little boy, someday you will know that your mom has had a few moments of magnificence.

No comments:

Post a Comment